Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Vampire Diaries: The Return Vol 1:
Nightfall by L.J. Smith

Elaina sacrificed her life for Damon and Stefan and made them promise to look out for each other as the last breath left her mortal body. Elaina was drawn back to earth by a supernatural power and given her human body back but it still carries the gifts bestowed her in the afterlife. Even more alarming is the blood that courses through her veins is like a drug to vampires. Once Stefan tastes it he becomes even more powerful causing him to worry and covet Elaina. He says he wants to keep her safe and make a life together, but Fells Church is in trouble again.

Two magical fox spirits felt the power of Elaina's rebirth and were drawn to Fells Church. Theses two creatures called the "Kitsune" are brother and sister and are named Shinichi and Misao. They decide to have fun in town and place a "Malach" inside Damon that slowly grows taking control of his body and mind. Misao appears to Caroline as her brother Shinichi in her bedroom mirror and promises to take care of her enemies and promises to love her. The Kitsune cause all sorts of trouble and residents start to exhibit strange behaviors.

Damon under the control of the Kitsune lure Stephan away from Fells Church with a promise of becoming mortal. Stephan leaves a note in Elaina's electronic diary, which Damon conveniently changes. He makes the note say he's left Elaina for good and to trust Damon to look out for her.

This was an interesting book and the author changes direction from the previous books. This one was more sci-fi than paranormal but it wasn't bad. I wish there was more of an explanation on who or why that supernatural force put Elaina back on earth. Stephan is out of the picture most of this book which is also different than the previous novels. Things do heat up between Elaina and Damon which I enjoyed immensely.



Book 1 and 2 The Vampire Dairies: The Awakening and The Struggle
Book 3 and 4 The Vampire Diaries: The Fury and Dark Reunion
Book 6 The Vampire Diaries: The Return Vol 2: Shadow Souls
Book 7 The Vampire Diaries: The Return Vol 3: Midnight (Releases March 15, 2011)

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love The Vampire Diaries Series, it is a guilty pleasure! I first started watching the television series and then decided to read the novel. I love the novels storyline, but I LOVE Damon's actor portrayal in the television series. I <3 him so, his eyes are just so amazing! Lol, back to reality.... I have lost some interest with in the novel I am currently reading now and that is Night Fall. With Stefen gone and Damon rouge, their is no romance, I live for those cheesy romance novels. All in all I am still reading Night Fall and I know that it'll pick up again. It gives me an anticipation sense knowing that it'll pick up again soon and I am waiting for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so different from any other L.J. Smith book I've ever read.I was so very excited, and was counting the days until this book came out. I have read all of her other books and absolutely loved them. Fans of hers won't really recognize her writing in most of this book, to be honest it sounds like weird fan fiction. Every once in a while you catch a glimmer of what made the original books so special, but it's fleeting.

    ReplyDelete